OT: new car advice

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Thu Nov 24 22:55:14 MST 2005

In a message dated 11/24/2005 10:10:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
josh_coffman at yahoo.com writes:

>don't agree. I think this whole thread shows there
>is a demend for such products. A law of free markets
>says that where there is a demand, a supply will be
>created. (People want to make money.) Seems like there
>is a growing demand for alt fuels

The problem is the infrastructure.  A lot of people won't buy alt-fuel cars
without the infrastructure.  If I run out of gas in Ajo, I can address it, but
what if I run out of hydrogen?  Where will I take my fuel-cell 2009 Elantra
for after-market service?

And nobody's gonna build that infrastructure (which will lose money until a
critical mass of alt-fuel cars are on the road) without sufficient cars or a
subsidy.

Of course, my argument is based on the assumption that they won't reach that
critical mass on people who will buy cars without the support infrastructure
in place alone.