Kubuntu and GNOME apps?

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 13:50:45 MST 2005

--- Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> I need a new distro for my kids' computer.  It has a
> SoundBlaster 16 (ISA)
> built into the motherboard.  (Yes, it is that old.)
>
> Ever since Fedora Core 2, the sound has not worked.
> Yep, lots of time in
> IRC and forums asking questions and now at FC4, no
> sound.  I don't have
> desire to spend more time on it.  And, worst of all,
> the kids are
> gravitating to my computer because, well, it has
> sound.
>
> They are used to KDE so I was thinking Kubuntu,
> assuming it will find the
> sound card.  However, there are a few GTK and GNOME
> apps that they like to
> use.  So, I need Kubuntu with the KDE desktop with
> library support for
> GNOME and GTK applications.  How hard is that to
> setup?
>
> OpenSuSE would be the other canidate but I more
> familiar with it and know
> that GNOME support under a KDE desktop is easy to
> get.
>
> Alan

I don't know for sure it would work, but you might
want to try it (has a liveCD):

SimplyMepis

I suggest it because I got the best hardware support
out-of-the-box from it than anything else I tried.
apt-get is easy and I'd have to assume it has gnome
libraries available since debian repos have something
like 35,000 packages.

Shin zen ni rei
-j
Registered Linux user number 403109