usenet about to die?

Ben Browning plug at emptiedout.com
Wed Nov 23 10:18:56 MST 2005

Bill Jonas wrote:
> I wouldn't say that IRC falls into the "public resource" category,
> personally.  I've seen prohibitions on IRC *clients* in the TOS of many
> hosting providers.  I knew that servers were generally a no-go -- even
> Speakeasy, with the most liberal attitude of any ISP that I've seen --
> but I hadn't heard of clients being prohibited by hosting providers.  (I
> haven't looked around much at different ISPs' TOS, though, so some might
> prohibit clients as well.  But I don't know.)

Most ISPs won't prohibit clients. Note that a hosting service is very
different than an access service. IRC servers are scary because they can
be DDOS magnets. Script kiddies love to talk smack on IRC.

I know when I suspect a box has been rooted one of the first things I
look for is an IRC server.

--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.