What to use instead of Samba?

shadow shadow at digitalnirvana.com
Tue Nov 22 11:39:16 MST 2005

Lyndon Tiu wrote:
> Last I read, Samab 4 is working on it.
>
> It's got OpenLDAP support which gives you some sort of a directory
> backend. It can also do old style NT domains.

You don't have to wait for Samba4 to get some of the benefits of an
"Active Directory" Domain. I have been using Samba3 with an NT4 style
domain and an OpenLDAP backend. While is was a b**** to setup, it has
provided us with a cross-platform single sign on environment for
everything from Desktop logins to VPN authentication.

Samba4 with true "Active Directory" integration will be the nail in the
coffin for Windows here.

--
Chris Lewis
shadow at digitalnirvana.com

"System Administrators are the Marines
of the business world.  We are the first
into the fight ready at a moments notice
day or night."

Hell's Admins - Bourne to Code
http://www.hellsadmins.com