32-bit x86 >4GB RAM

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 21 14:57:27 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 14:18 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> I have a couple here, they are offered by IBM quite readily and for a
> decent price.
> Primarly we use them for Oracle.
>

> On 11/21/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 12:07 -0800, Lyndon Tiu wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Looking for that keyword that allows 32-bit x86 systems to have more than 4GB RAM. Can someone tip me on this so that I can look it up Google? Thanks.
> > ----
> > Why would you use x86 system with more than 4G of RAM?
> >
> > Just install appropriate x64

----
Oracle suggests 'Enterprise' form of Linux. I know that Red Hat is
indifferent to processor/binary type but does have 'huge memory/multi-
processor (more than 2)' support in 'Advanced Server'

If you are going to roll your own kernel, you have lost support
anyway...consider something like CentOS and then you can install any
base.

I imagine something similar exists with SuSE 'Enterprise' products but I
am not SuSE knowledgable.

Craig

believed to be clean.