Dual Boot UBUNTU Install w/ Win 2K

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Mon Nov 21 12:48:13 MST 2005

G Gambill wrote:
> Is it true (I seem to remember) that UBUNTU wants to reformat/partition the
> whole drive (by default) instead of volunteering to use only the unused (or
> Linux only partition) portion thereby discouraging a duel (sp) boot system?
> I hate to say it but that made sense to me.

Ubuntu will do a dual boot install and evern resize existing windows
partitions if you go about it right.  It was relatively simple.  Check
this description out:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//WindowsDualBootHowTo

I can't find the better one I came across.

The key thing is ... when it gets to the point where it starts talking
about partitioning disks ... make sure to "Manually edit partition table."

I just did this the other day on an XP box.  First we ran defrag in XP,
then used Ubuntu's resize during install and it worked great.

Austin