What to use instead of Samba?

Lyndon Tiu ltiu at alumni.sfu.ca
Mon Nov 21 09:18:45 MST 2005

ftp works fine between Windows and Linux.

Setup the ftp server on Linux and from Windows, simply use Windows Explorer to read-write to the ftp directories on the Linux server as if these are plain directories.

I wonder what your problem was with Samba? I don't remember you sending emails to this group asking for help. Google does not have all the answers you know! You could have asked us on this list before giving up.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:10:06 -0700 plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> Over the past week I have blown my entire lifetime allotment
> of time that I can afford to invest in Samba, so I'm done.
>
> Please don't offer help on this subject, my post is just
> a statement of grief, it's over now, I'm getting past the
> denial stage and into mourning.  I tried everything Google
> had to offer -- hundreds of changes to the config, turned
> off iptables and the Windows firewall, etc.  I have given
> up, and I'm not the only one so I guess it's just how it
> is gonna be.
>
> My wife's XP machine will never access a Samba share on
> my Linux box.  Pity, but apparently I've got *lots* of
> company.
>
> So where to now:  does anonymous rsync work from Windows?
>
> (Note:  I'm about to post a more important request.
> This one is just a gripe, the next one is critical
> to my ability to stay with Linux.)
>
> Vic

Lyndon Tiu