Ubuntu Breezy + Wireless Interfaces

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Sat Nov 19 13:05:33 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:13 -0700, Kevin wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:07 -0700, Jared Anderson wrote:
> > Check out:
> > ifrename
> > /etc/iftab
>
> Yep, tried that.  It's being ignored in Breezy.

Oops, spoke too soon.  Thanks for the tip Jared.

I just experimented with the "arp" descriptor and discovered that the
Cisco card requires "arp 1" at the end of the line to distinguish the
normal wireless interface from the wireless monitor interface.  So,
an /etc/iftab like this fixed it:

eth0 mac 00:0d:60:##:##:##
eth1 mac 00:02:8a:##:##:## arp 1

The wireless monitor interface somehow figures out to use wifi0 like it
did in Ubuntu-5.04.  So, it all ends up like this:

 - eth0 (e1000 module) wired ethernet
 - eth1 (airo module) NORMAL WIRELESS interface
 - wifi0 (airo module) wireless monitor interface

Best of all, my location scripts are happy again!

...Kevin