When open source goes bad...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 16 22:41:17 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 20:40 -0700, slegge at govliquidation.com wrote:

> DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO
>
> When on a tight budget ALWAYS demo everything first. It's easier to
> justify your hourly rate rather than the app. Especially when it's
> your name/ass on the line, I recommend you ALWAYS insist on not giving
> ANY billable information before you demo anything. One good way out of
> that is to say you are non-disclosured to not give out even the
> slightest information about who you are or who you are working for. If
> they are a viable business they will be aware of the fact many
> companies dont want people to know who uses what products. If I sold
> software I would want to showoff how wonderful and featurefull my
> product was not keep it closed up and hidden.
----
I believe the operative term is always 'caveat emtor'
----
> As for open source gone wrong look @ apps like ARCserve how many
> possible ways can you package tar and gzip??? I swear Computer
> Associates sells sooo much rebadged opensource I don't know if they
> know how their own product works anymore.
----
You get the java based web controller for their ArcServe which is what I
guess I am having my clients pay for. You are hitting on a sore subject
at the moment because I'm a little ticked off at CA
----
>  I really enjoy calling places who ask for a $50 incident fee when ITS
> THEIR FAULT!!! </rant>
----
They have next to worthless free email support.

;-)

Craig

believed to be clean.