apt-get broken dependencies

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Nov 9 08:46:14 MST 2005

I did only have 'testing' in my sources.list.  I added 'stable', ran
'apt-get update', and I was able to install php4-gd without any
problems.  It 'just worked'.

On Nov 8, 2005, at 10:51 PM, der.hans wrote:

> You still shouldn't be needing t1lib1 based on the package info I
> have.
>
> I'm interested in why apt is wanting to install that for you.

No idea on that one.  It is a little funny, because I didn't see
t1lib1 in the requirements for php4-gd either (on debian.org).  I
don't know how the packages actually get in the respository, but is
it possible that there's a new version of php4-gd which doesn't have
the dependency on t1lib1, and the website has been updated but the
mirrors I'm using still have an older one?

I'm using packages.dotdeb.org and mirrors.usc.edu in my
sources.list.  The actual php4-gd which I got was this : "http://
packages.dotdeb.org ./ php4-gd 4:4.4.1-0.dotdeb.2".  Maybe that isn't
exactly the same as the php4-gd described on debian.org?

Oh well, it works now!

kiltlifter:/home/alex# apt-get install php4-gd
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
   libapache2-mod-php4 libmysqlclient15 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1
libxp6 libxpm4
   libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtrap6 libxtst6 php4-cli php4-common
php4-mysql
   php4-pgsql t1lib1 xlibs
Suggested packages:
   php-pear
   libmysqlclient15 libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2
   libxrender1 libxtrap6 libxtst6 php4-gd t1lib1 xlibs
   libapache2-mod-php4 php4-cli php4-common php4-mysql php4-pgsql
5 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
Need to get 7241kB of archives.
After unpacking 9769kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

> https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/
>
> See cafod. It's probably a bit out of date at this point, but the
> basics
> still hold true even if there are now better ways to get them done.

Thanks!  This is in my Linux bookmarks now.

alex