comments on gentoo liveDVD and OpenSuse LiveDVD

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 23:59:43 MST 2005

In case anyone else here like to try something new
once in a while...

I tried RR4, a gentoo 2005.1 LiveDVD, just a a quick
look of what gentoo might be like. I realize running a
Live system is different than installed. I was still
impressed. The boot was a little slow, which is
typical for Live systems. Still I was fairly impressed
by the eye candy and the responsiveness of the KDE
desktop. Firefox did crash for me, but Konquerer has
no problems. Used dhclient to get an active land, but
typically no touchpad scrolling or ndiswrapper wi-lan.

(Open) Suse has a live DVD. SO I thought i'd boot is
just to see. The eye candy is pretty nice, and the KDE
desktop was also pretty snappy for a liveDVD. This
time firefox worked. Same lack of wi-lan and touchpad
scrolling; as expected.

Gentoo installs and maintenance still scare me a
little; and I'm probably too attached to Fedora to
give it up. Stil both of those looked like nice
systems.

regards,
-j