OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Fri Nov 4 19:36:00 MST 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 13:29, Shawn Badger wrote:
> Looks like someone at Sony was feeling a little pressure.
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/03/HNsonypatch_1.html?source=NLC-TB2
>005-11-03

HAH!
it still didn't remove the problem. I have w windows box here that is now
useless to me for ANYTHING (I use it for data formats and applications not
yet available under linux or runnable under wine).

Their little DRM (a la rootkit) did a lot more damage. it disabled my adaptive
technology. now its going to cost me some real $$$ (about $500.00) from the
vendor of my speech synth software to get a new code key to reinstall my
package (I so hate "Jaws for Windows" for this reason!).

Sent a polite letter over to sony BMG explaining the problem. all I got back
was a form letter, a link to their patch and nothing else (patch didn't
repair the damage, only made it worse).

if I had the $$$, I'd hire a class action attorney.

as it is, I might be able to get American Freedom Science (the vendors for
JFW) to waive the fee (good luck!).

Sony just earned a place in the "never purchase product lines of..." category.

GRRRRRRRRRR

TMH