OT: Man Charged With Stealing Wi-Fi Signal - Yahoo! News

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jul 13 14:39:02 MST 2005

Donn wrote:
> On 7/13/05, *Ted Gould* <ted at gould.cx <mailto:ted at gould.cx>> wrote:
>
>     I guess I get tired of the phrase "people who have open WAPs are lazy or
>     stupid".  I have a WAP, it is open.  I know how to configure it.  I
>     choose to leave it open.  I haven't had any issues.
>
>                     --Ted
 >
> So, do you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it too? Your choice.

No, and perhaps that's the misunderstanding:

"free software" is to "free hardware"

	- as -

"free Wifi" is to "free car"

If you use my Wifi, there is no additional cost to me.  If you take my
car, I would have to buy another.  This is the same as software
requiring no cost to replicate versus hardware which does.

		--Ted