Visio Equivalent for Linux

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Jul 13 14:04:16 MST 2005

Kurt Granroth said:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 12:32 pm, G Gambill wrote:
>> Anyone know of a Linux equivalent for Visio?
>
> Your best bets are Kivio (http://www.koffice.org/kivio/) and Dia
> (http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/)
>
> I haven't used either for more than just a better xfig so I can't
> comment on  how close they are to Visio.

Kivio is the closest to Visio in it's layout and UI, IMO.  Dia has lots of
plugins and automation possibilities since it has been around the longest.

If you want to do UML, Umbrello (http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php) is
pretty good and can generate code for you in various languages.

Keep in mind that as far as I know there are no FS/OSS programs that can
read or write Visio native files.  No one has reverse engineered the
format yet, I guess.

Alan