audio to text software

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Sun Jul 10 15:05:37 MST 2005

Craig Brooksby wrote:

>I now dissolve back into the collective and lose my individual identity.  (poof)

After reading this thread I'm willing to purchase a Digital Voice
Recorder and try one of these speech-to-text applications. I did a quick
search on BestBuy (thinking if they have it then I can pick it up today)
the only thing I found was several mp3 players that just happen to have
voice recording. I'm not at all certain of the clarity of these
recorders. So again I'm asking the collectives advise. I'm looking for
something ~$100.00 or under that I can record about 3 hours of voice to,
I'd love to be able to save on my harddrive (so linux has to be able to
read it) perhaps convert to ogg (though that's not that important). The
most important thing is the mic has to be *very* good. (I tend to take
notes while walking). And portability would be the next major feature.

Any ideas?