How to get a dial-up 'net connect with Linux on a laptop?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Dec 23 18:52:36 MST 2005

I've tried, Mandriva, PCLOS, Mepis, Xandros, and Ubuntu on my new laptop,
and none of them seem to be able to provide a modem connect to the 'net.

Why does this have to be so incredibly complicated?  Do I need to take
this new HP Pavilion ZV6100 back and get something different in order
to get one that can connect to the 'net with an internal modem and
get a wireless connect?  Why should one have to waste so much time
jumping through so many nuisance hoops to try to solve this mystery?

While I hope to avoid M$ as much as possible, I do have to give them
credit in the fact that everything works, "out of the box" on this HP.

Isn't there some Linux distro that can match that performance
on a laptop at a reasonable price?

Merry Christmas, everyone.