calendar sharing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 16 17:16:54 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 13:15 -0700, Jason Hayes wrote:
> Is there any way to share calendar items between Evolution and Outlook
> users without using an Exchange server? I have Googled around and
> searched the archives of various lists, but have not found an answer
> yet.
>
> My reason for asking is that my office wants to start sharing calendars,
> but the expense of an Exchange server license makes that an unlikely
> option (I work with a small non-profit, with a limited IT budget).
>
> I would prefer to keep using Evolution for my mail and calendar
> information as I have become accustomed to it. However, my office mates
> are not terribly interested in switching from an MS environment. So if
> Evolution can't do the job, I will need to switch to something else.
>
> Is this sort of sharing easier with Kontact? Since the KDE folks have
> bundled Akregator in with Kontact, using it would be a possibility.
>
> If the above isn't possible, has anyone used something like PHProjekt? I
> don't want to have to start using two calendars (i.e. Evolution and
> PHProjekt), but am interested in hearing about options.
----
Since this is a repeated discussion, perhaps we should put this on PLUG
website and allow people to have commentary on specific applications.

Outlook is a PITA as it is pretty much an unwilling client and if you
insist on that as one of the clients then your options are probably
things like...

Open source or free options (note: most of these have commercial
versions and/or charge for the connectors)
open-Xchange (as Josh pointed out but no Evolution)

Scalix
http://www.scalix.com/index.html

Kolab
www.kolab.org

OGo - OpenGroupware
http://www.opengroupware.org/

Proprietary
Novell Groupwise
http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/?
sourceidint=t2_products_solutions:%20Workgroup

BynariInsightManager
http://bynari.net/index.php?id=7

Communigate Pro
http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/

OfficeCalendar
http://www.officecalendar.com/

Samsung Contact
http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/

You might be interested in this link...
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm#other

And of course, if you are willing to dispense with the notion of these
stupid fat clients...I would heartily recommend Horde/IMP/etc.

Groupwise (Novell) is the only mail server I know of that can support
both Outlook and Evolution clients.

Craig