Using Konqueror for FTP (was Re: GNOME vs. KDE)

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Wed Dec 14 16:25:40 MST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 3:52 PM, Edward Norton wrote:
> $ ftp ftp.host.com
>
> So much simpler than messing with GUI b/s. ;-)

Well, the reason that the original poster wanted to use Konqueror to
do FTP is the ability to edit remote files on his website in-place.
So let's compare the two methods:

CLI FTP:
1. ftp ftp.host.com
2. login
3. cd public_html/mydir
4. get myfile.html
5. exit
6. kate myfile.html
7. ftp ftp.host.com
8. login
9. cd public_html/mydir
10. put myfile.html
11. exit

Konqueror:
1. ftp://ftp.host.com/public_html/mydir
2. login
3. Right-click on myfile.html and choose Edit

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, here... but my (implied)
point remains valid.  GUIs have their place even for hard-core CLI
users if you truly want to cut down on steps in some cases.

Disclaimer: I don't use either method.  My websites' canonical
content is stored locally and I have rsync handle getting it to my
host.  With scripts and command history, editing the files is similar
to:

1. edit myfile.html
2. update_web

Kurt