OT: firefox/linux & oldnavy.com

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Dec 14 13:49:21 MST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Josh Coffman wrote:

> Yeah, oldnavy.com... christmas shopping for the kids.
> Anyway, I keep having to set the UserAgent to IE for
> my wife so she can shop oldnavy.com. This is on Fedora
> Core 4 using firefox 1.5. However, I have no problem
> with it using firefox 1.5 on windows.
>
> Seems like something about the user agent request
> headers is confusing oldnavy and it doesn't recognize
> it as an acceptable browser. Anything I can do? My
> wife, wodnerful lady, just doesn't want to learn to
> change the user agent from the menu. I certainly don't
> want to set User Agent to always impersonate IE.

My wife recently complained to me about the same thing ... she has been
shopping via that oldnavy website for a few years and just recently they
added that restriction. She uses some useragent switcher for firefox and
the oldnavy website works fine (she ordered via it).

Let's complain to Old Navy.

Let's make a website that publicly documents companies that want to make
it difficult or lose customers.

I found webpages about this.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/11/safarigap/index.php
http://www.commonplacebook.com/cool_things/geek_bling/old_navy_doesnt.shtm