quick-n-easy process timer

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Mon Dec 5 15:33:20 MST 2005

Q: How do I time a process
A: "time <command>"

That said, I would recommend running some disk tuning/monitoring software on the system (ask on the list for recommendations, I don't know what's available in this realm).  It sounds like you might be encountering either DMA or SCSI command-queue conflicts, which are usually resolvable via small changes in disk tuning parameters.