Linux AppleTalk File Share mounting problems

June Tate june at theonelab.com
Wed Aug 31 21:10:45 MST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:41:11PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> Not gonna solve your problem but relate that I have been having problems
> with Tiger resolving dns on afp: type URL's and would suggest that even
> though you added the hosts entries, you might find that the ip address
> is what is needed. You may recall my gripe yesterday about mail lists
> and that was the heart of my gripe - specifically about Tiger - after
> installing security updates no longer could reliably mount afp://fqdn
> shares - even though dns was working fine for panther, WinXP and Linux
> systems.

I just tried replacing "tank" with tank's IP to no avail. Argh! I wish
there was some kind of real diagnostic I could do to figure out what's
wrong. O.o

> I am not sure why you are using netatalk and not doing an nfs mount but
> I suppose you've got a valid reason.

Well, NFS and SMB mounts tend to go stale and die off while a Mac is
asleep. AFP mounts, however, have a sleep state built into the
protocol, so it's possible for them to stay mounted even though the
machine is asleep.

I've been having problems with SMB and NFS mounts not showing up as
connected when Microcosm wakes up, so I figured using AFP might solve
the problem with a bit more elegance.

> I'm not convinced that 2.0.3 handles some of the changes Apple made in
> Tiger - I think the release pre-dated the Tiger release.

Not sure what you're referring as "2.0.3" here. =o)

June Tate * http://www.theonelab.com * june at theonelab.com