Mounting a PCMCIA CDROM

Robert Rosenwald robert at perfectniche.com
Mon Aug 29 10:10:14 MST 2005

I am a Linux novice. I managed to install SuSE 8.1 on my Sony Vaio PCG-505TR laptop. Because it uses a PCMCIA CDROM I first booted from floppies and then went through the install. The CDROM drive was recognized and all was ok. However after the install the CDROM is not mounted. Within FSTAB is the line:

/dev/cdrom        /media/cdrom        auto    ro, noauto,user,exec        0,0

I keep trying variations on the following command:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

and I keep getting back a message "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"

I have not been able to mount the CDROM

On the PCMCIA HOW-TO

I saw the following:

If the modules are all loaded correctly, the output of the lsmod command should look like the following, when no cards are inserted:
Module                  Size  Used by
ds                          5640   2
i82365                  15452   2
pcmcia_core          30012   3  [ds i82365]

When I run the lsmod command I get (among other entries)

ds                    6436    1
yenta_socket     9536    1
pcmcia_core    40448    0 [ds yenta_socket]

I know that whhen I first booted from floppy I got a message saying PCMCIA i82365 was found and asked me to insert Module 4 disk which I did and installation went fine. I'm unsure if the output of lsmod hints at part of the problem.

I'm just trying to give information so hopefully someone can help me get my comuter to recognize the CDROM

Robert Rosenwald

Publisher & President
        Poisoned Pen Press--Publishing Excellence in Mystery
        6962 E. 1st Ave. #103, Scottsdale, AZ  85251
        robert at poisonedpenpress.com www.poisonedpenpress.com
        800-421-3976
        480-945-3375
        Fax 480-949-1707