dumb icons

Lynn David Newton lnewton at mvista.com
Mon Aug 29 09:04:18 MST 2005

I run KDE on my SuSE 9.2 worstations. On the one at
home, a curious problem arose spontaneously. I have KDE
set so as not to display desktop icons, and I have six
slots in my virtual desktop.

For years, until last November I used Gnome. Once in a
while I'll still start up a Gnome utility from a
command line.

I rarely log out or reboot, but one day recently I did
so on my home system and was dismayed to find there are
icons on my desktop, but only on the first virtual
screen. Furthermore, they are clearly Gnome icons, not
KDE icons.

It's not a big deal, because normally in the first slot
I start up an XEmacs that covers up the icons. But it's
annoying to know that it's there, because they're not
supposed to be, and I can't find by exploring the
configuration directories where those icons are coming
from.

Of course, I could blow away all the "dot" directories
that have anything to do with Gnome and the problem
would probably go away, but I'm disinclined to do that.

A desktop manager can be a Good Thing until it screws
up and you can't figure out what went wrong because it
tries to hide everything from you.

Any suggestions?

--
Lynn David Newton