modem

stu wien33 at cox.net
Sun Aug 28 08:42:59 MST 2005

Welcome!
I've been running MEPIS for quite some time now, and although learning to use
the command line is definitely helpful, it's not absolutely necessary. You
can learn as you go using MEPIS. Google "Linux comand line", and you will
find dozens of helpful tutorials. Here's a quick start on the CLI (command
line interface). Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to take you to the first Command line
terminal where you can log-in to a different virtual terminal. This works for
F1 thru F6 for six seperate Command line terminals. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7
brings you back to the GUI terminal screen (KDE). I find this an easier way
to teach myself how to use the CLI and run shell scripts, thus leaving the
tutorials up and undisturbed on Ctrl+Alt+F7 for easy reference.
As for Modems, I've been on Cable since I gave M$ the boot. All I can say is
stay away from "Win"-anything hardware, especially Modems! MEPIS comes with
several MEPIS Forums already bookmarked in the Firefox browser, and they may
prove helpful in this area.
Lastly, there is a book by Robin Miller titled "Point and Click Linux" which
is specifically about MEPIS. Amazon has it for about $25, and is a good
resource for MEPIS beginners.
Have fun with it!
	Stu