gentoo partition recommendations

Jared Anderson PluggedIn at TheGoldenEdge.Com
Sat Aug 27 17:19:37 MST 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:32:20 -0700, Dragos Neagu writes:
>Hey folks,
>I've gotten around to installing gentoo now.  I'm just curious from
>you gentoo users what you have your poartitions as, and what you would
>recommend.  I have a 60GB laptop with 512MB ram.  The laptop will be
>my primary system, and i'm not all that interested in running mail or
>game servers from it (yes, i'm reading the handbook ;-)
>
>Thanks in advance
>--
>-Dragos Neagu <><
>"If I have been able to see farther, it was only because I stood on
>the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton
>"Open source is like science, closed source is like witchcraft" - Linus Torvalds

I'm running Gentoo on my laptop, I've got a 30GB hd and 768MB of ram.
hda1          		   Primary     Linux ext3      10239.87
hda2                       Primary     Linux ext3       8023.75
hda3                       Primary     Linux ext3      10739.96
hda4                       Primary     Linux swap       1002.26

hda1 is the / directory, hda3 is my home directory.  hda2 is used for miscellaneous
experiments (other distros, other O/S, temporary file storage, etc.).

Some people like the set a partition aside for the /boot directory, but I don't: it
gets to cluttered for my retentiveness.

At the very minimum, I recommend separate partitions for the /, /home, and swap
partition.  10GB should be plenty for a / directory.  'They' say your swap file
should be be 1-2x as big as the amount of system memory; however, my swap file is
rarely used.  The size of the /home partition should be big enough to hold your MP3s. ;)