What's a good Cable provider?

ec eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 09:30:25 MST 2005

Unless you are a big business and can afford say $10k
or so a month, the 'home user/very small business
users' are basically all going either down cox cable
just before hitting the trunk line or Qwest!

With Qwest especially, you don't have to be qwest all
the way. but eventually it winds up on a qwest wire
and you pay for that. And two bills for it with a
secondary provider (total MAY be cheaper, but watch
the total..some swear they are cheaper, but the qwest
and theirs comes to more money sometimes!! One for the
'provider' and one for 'the line'. Qwest just adds
both to your home phone bill if you are using them.
And will split the intital setup fees for 2 or 3
months so the wallet is hit lighter/month. I have
landline and qwest all the way. Maybe one long
distance/year.

IF you choose qwest, and don't want their
email/extras, just a Point Of Presence... (just
getting to the web) insist on 'basic connection' and
choose the speed. They offer 256/256 with basic POP
which is $24.99/mo add $15 for next step up to 1.5mb
down/640? up. They will try to stick you with MSN
deluxe.. Take that IF you like it, but I don't need
webspace/emails/usenet/etc. Took a couple months to
get them to dump MSN. Extra about $5 or so I wouldn't
use and besides you don't need the windoze cdrom!!

My basic landline phone, PLUS basic POP and 1.5mb
comes to $66.01 Plus and phone charges like long dist.
calls after the initial hits for setup/modem/whatever.
The modem they sell is $70 with shipping and comes
with ethernet wired setup. Wireless requires a slip in
card (new neighbor tried to keep a straight face when
he asked about hi speed and was I wireless, WIRED, his
face did the slight 'bad poker hand' look! ..hehehe.

Oh, there is a computer swapmeet at Scottsdale
Community College, northeast corner of Pima/101 and
Chapparal road (5000 north, equivalent to Camelback in
phx and Snootsdale. Snotsdale doesn't jog camelback
back north after going south for the mountain like
Indian School road does. fyi). Cables cheap and new,
built by a local person in carefree/cave creek. 50
foot cat 5 about $5 or $6 if I remember. Yacking on it
right now! Interesting vendor.

http://www.scoutingisfun.com/SwapMeet.htm

FWIW.

--- "Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> shieldx wrote:
>
> > I am looking to move up from 56k pretty soon here,
> > and was wondering which companies provide decent
> cable internet service
> > here in the valley.
> > Can you help me?
>
> AFAIK, Cox is the only cable provider in the valley.
>
> http://www.cox.com/Phoenix/
>
> There is a broadband internet alternative to cable,
> namely Qwest
> DSL.http://www.qwest.com/residential/internet/
>
> Check with providers for availability in your
> location and rate plans.
>
> Either one provides adequate service for typical
> internet usage. FWIW,
> lately I've found Qwest's customer service to be
> superior, if that's a
> consideration.
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'