Can't change time from UTC to localtime

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sat Aug 13 01:48:25 MST 2005

I started having clock problems again, whereby my incoming mail shows
it comes in at UTC and not localtime. Started when I rebooted the
confuser. I've read the clock manpage and tried everything (as root)
to set the system clock to localtime, and nothing works. I looked
at /usr/share/zoneinfo, and the localtime file is there, but NOT
there. I see it, but the system keeps telling me the file does not
exist. Under "properties" in Konqueror, it says the file is a link
and has no permissions.

Can someone please tell me a sequence for setting the system time to
localtime? I'm using Debian...

Thanks for any help.
Siri Amrit