cat 5/6 continuity testing

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Mon Aug 1 12:25:42 MST 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 12:23:39PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> I know that there is a fairly expensive tool that can check the wiring
> continuity $ 200+ but is there a simpler way? If not, which tool would
> you recommend?

You might find one of these to be helpful:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6c20/

Test two patch cables by plugging one end into a computer or switch and
the other end into this thing.  Then use those cables along with a
computer or switch to test the wiring in the wall.  You'll probably want
to ensure that the pairs are ordered correctly on the jacks.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step