plug] Re: Red Hat 8.0 Installation Takes Way Too Long

R P Herrold plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> Just for grins - try re-seating the IDE cable on the board and the CD drive.
>
> Maybe try the drive on a different IDE channel?

> > <4> hdc cdrom_decode_status: status 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
> > <4> hdc cdrom_decode_status: error 0x30
> >
> > At this point, I am waiting for Red Hat's word on this, and I also want to
> > try installing to a different system (I have another system with a P4
> > processor, but I have to wrestle it away from my kids). I will report back

Don't wait for a Red Hat response.  Unfortunately the answer
is pretty clear.

CD drive resets are indicators that you need to find another
method of installation -- across the wire from loop mounted
ISO's is straightforward using either the FTP or NFS, and
documented in the RELEASE-NOTES.  I do unattended installs
that way in 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the
install.

Consumer grade IDE CDroms were made to meet a price point, not
to provide high quality hardware, by and large, in my
experience.

-- Russ Herrold