Can ping by hostname, can't browse

Michelle Lowman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:53:15 -0700

I've googled for this, alltheweb'd for this, and I still can't figure out
where I screwed it up.

I was connected through a Linksys router to a cable modem, and both my Red
Hat 8.0 box and my husband's Win2K laptop could connect with no problem.
The router also acted as a DHCP server. I decided yesterday to set up my
Red Hat machine as a print server, so I disabled DHCP on the router and
assigned a static IP to the RH box (the same IP the router always assigned:
192.168.1.100 -- I should have just left it alone, huh?).

When I did that, I was no longer able to browse or get email, but I didn't
have time to mess with it, so I decided to change all the settings back. I
enabled DHCP on the router, reset everything, including making sure that
eth0 gets its IP from the DHCP server.

So now the router won't route. I can ping hosts on the internet by IP and
by hostname, but I can only browse by IP (which is not exactly practical).
I tried to connect directly to the cable modem, taking the router out of
the loop, and I can still ping by IP or hostname, but I still can't browse.
(I also tried a reset of the router, and all that seemed to do was revert
it back to the factory password.)

The odd thing is that only my Red Hat box has this problem. The Win2k
machine also has problems with the router (can ping, can't browse), but
when it's connected directly to the cable modem, it can browse just fine.

BTW, the DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf on the Red Hat machine are
exactly the same as the DNS settings on the Win2k machine, and exactly the
same as the settings on the router.

Another thing about the Red Hat box is that when I start it up, it tells me
that it can't resolve the hostname, which is livia. However, the /etc/hosts
file DOES contain
127.0.0.1	livia	localhost.localdomain	localhost
and has contained that line throughout this entire mess.

Any ideas? Or should I just go give myself a swirly . . .

-Michelle