a cool Opera feature that Mozilla doesn't have

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 May 2003 00:12:20 -0700

Lynn David Newton wrote:

> $ galeon
> (QFA)Talkback error: Can't initialize.
>
> ** WARNING **: compiled mozilla version 1.0.1 != detected mozilla_version 1.2.1

You broke galeon by upgrading mozilla. (improperly)

I run Mandrake and I don't like the version(s) of mozilla they use, so I yank
out mozilla and anything dependent on it by:

urpme mozilla

This removes galeon, and other things that I am willing to give up for now.
Then I install the latest binary of mozilla from their website.

Now I don't have to worry about Mandrakeupdate or

urpmi --auto --auto-select --update

breaking my new mozilla later when the next update comes out because the rpm
database doesn't think it is installed. It is smart enough not to try and
update something if it is not installed in the first place.

But, to run galeon and mozilla, you have to keep them a bit in sync. You have
to either use you distribution's package managment or not. If you don't, you
will have to fix things like this manually.

Let's say I suddenly decided to go back to using rpm (urpmi) to manage my
mozilla again, or let's say I decide to just install galeon :

urpmi galeon

urpmi would see that it needs mozilla as a dependency for galeon and offer to
install the correct version for me. If I let it, I just broke my mozilla
install and replaced my binary with a (probably) older one.

It's really cool that there is often more than one way of doing things in
Linux. It gets complicated when you start using 'mixtures' of ways.

- --
KevinO

Hickory Dickory Dock, The mice ran up the clock, The clock struck one, The
others escaped with minor injuries.