SCO Question

Tue, 27 May 2003 23:54:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 27. May, 2003 schw=E4tzte Carl Parrish so:

> http://www.linuxworld.com/go.cgi?id=3D742433
>

> The Cendant Hotels division of Parsippany, N.J.-based Cendant Corp. runs
> about 3,700 servers based on SCO's OpenLinux operating system. David
> Chugg, senior director of hotel solutions at the unit, said he initially
> was worried about what SCO's legal campaign would mean for Cendant
> Hotels. But he added that he was reassured when SCO said it wouldn't
> target any of its own Linux customers.
>

> I got this quote from the link above. Here is my question. How can SCO
> take this position? Are they claiming that their version of OpenLinux
> doesn't have the IBM tainted version of Linux? Otherwise I don't see how
> this could possibly be legal.

It's their 'property', so they can distribute it if they want. Since the
source code in question has been released as part of a project under the
GPL, though, I'd think the code would end up under the GPL, which means
Cendant or any other SCO Linux customer can demand and release the code
under the GPL. Anyone wanna stop by Borders and donate $20 to the cause ;-)=
=2E

BTW, please don't go buy a Caldera dist. Let's let this stuff shake out
some. If all else fails I'm certain Cendant or some other company will
legally release the source code.

Also, another link that was posted last week quoted some SCO muckity-muck a=
saying they won't sell any more Linux products for now.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans