a cool Opera feature that Mozilla doesn't have

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 09:32:31 -0700

Greetings,

Although I use Mozilla day in and day out, I was just
fooling around with Opera a bit, for which I do have
some low-volume use, exploring the preferences, which
I've never bothered to look through before, and
discovered one that it really pretty neat.

One can set the editor to use when viewing source. I
set it to /usr/local/bin/gnuclient, which is allows a
user to request a running XEmacs process to edit the
material named. Or a person can set it to vi or
whatever else makes his heart go pitter-pat.

I *love* this feature, and greatly wish the same were
possible within Mozilla, but it's not, unless there's
something I've missed.

I spend all day long writing code that generates Web
pages, and many times a day need to view source. The
built-in source viewer in Mozilla is pretty wimpy. In
fact, I'll often just do a giant cut and paste into an
empty XEmacs buffer so I can take a better look.

That's the sort of feature that I don't think is too
difficult to add to a program, so maybe it's on the
Mozilla developers map to do that?

Carl Parrish, are you out there reading this, and do
you have any comment?

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ