Old computer from Slackware presentation, Part 3

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
23 May 2003 13:25:41 -0700

Not sure if anyone remembers the old Compaq my friend won from an East
Side meeting last month, but we've basically exhausted most traditional
means of installing Linux on it, and have come up with an alternative:

The computer has two scsi drives and now a scsi cd-rom, which Slackware
still can't detect.  However, it can detect an IDE hard drive on the IDE
port it has, maybe.  I plan on installing the OS on another computer on
an IDE hard drive and then sticking it back into my friend's comp, then
dding the whole OS into its larger SCSI hard disk.

or

I can find a larger IDE hard drive, stick it in my computer, dd the iso
image onto the hard drive, stick it back into my friend's comp, boot
with a floppy, and select that IDE hard drive as the source of the
packages.

note that I have little experience with SCSI and will prolly ask more
questions when I decide to set up a RAID array.

- David Huerta