new Red Hat coming

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:07:44 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Mar, 2003 schw=E4tzte Derek Neighbors so:

> I still dont see how people keep red hat up to date reasonably without
> purchasing some service to make doing so reasonable.

That's fine as long as the security updates are easy to get at no cost.
Personally, I think $40/year is pretty cheap for all the software we have
available :). Yes, I know, we have debian, we have easy updates, we get the=
for no cost. Someone's paying for the bandwidth and the key is security
updates, so if a company wants to charge for a download service and people
will pay that generally gives us more resources for Free Software
development.

> I know people cry that Debian is stale, but if you know where to get
> sources.list lines generally you can find bleeding edge everything.
> http://www.apt-get.org is now around to help make people not in the know,
> more informed on how to get current packaging while staying on the stable
> version of Debian.

Having to do this really cuts down on the beauty of apt for most people. I'=
glad we can do it, but it's not something everyone should have to do. We
need a "mostly stable" dist :). testing usually is, but stability isn't the
goal of testing. testing is the goal of testing.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)
#  -- Kevin Buettner