Dennis Kibbe

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:50:55 -0700

Quoting Michael Havens <bmike1@vei.net>:

> Thanks for burning Mandrake 9.0 for me. Everything loaded perfectly (I did
> not get any messages telling me that it had difficulties). Unfortunately when
> I got 9.0 originaly the person who set it up (who shall remain unnamed) must
> have set a link or something. Would it be possible to bring my computer to
> your place way down in scottsdale to set 9.0 up and trouble shoot! Any chance
> we could do that? I do not have i-net accessibility right now so give me a
> call. 480-844-1511
> :-)Mike(-:

Mike,

Before I waste your time (because there is no guarantee I can fix anything)
let's do some troubleshooting first.

1. Is this the same modem you had working before under Mandrake?

2. How did you get it working before? Did it "just work?" Or did you download a
driver for it?

3. Is the computer home-built or name brand? If name brand, have you searched
http://www.google.com/linux to see what others have done?

4. I assume it's an internal PCI modem. Do you know the make and model? And if
you do have that info, what have you found by googling or search the Mandrake
forums?

5. Can you post the output of "lspci -vv" ? I'm guessing if it is a real modem
it will show up as such on the PCI bus.

The answer to these questions will tell us what to do next.

Dennis