Linux/OSS/FS critical mass reached?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:10:04 -0700 (MST)

Alan Dayley said:
> I have been seeing things lately about Linux/OSS/FS:
> - A local PC shop says 25-33% of the computers they sell go out with
> Linux instead of MS.

That is a nice percentage.  When the M$ OEM Machines (Dell, Compaq, HP,
Gateway) start reporting similar numbers, we will really know we have made
a dent. ;)

>- A local school using LTSP for the computer lab.

I think that more impressive than a few schools is the fact that at least
3 states have "Open Source" initatives on their upcoming legislative
calendars (Texas, California and Oregon)

> - Family members, after all this time, finally, actually wanting to know
> what it is even though they have known I was into it for years.

I frequently tell people that my 8 year old and 4 year old use Debian
GNU/Linux without a snag along with my wife.  Of course, they do so
because I did the OEM work of actually installing and configuring the
hardware before letting them loose. ;)

I have a Nephew in the 7th grade that uses Debian at home now and our
church has moved almost entirely over to Debian as well.  Generally people
dont have problems 'changing' if they dont have to 'unlearn' behavior and
if someone installs and configures them to start.  I think this will be an
overwhelming power of an installfest. ;)

>- More
> and more articles about it in highly visible "non-tech" magazines.

Two critical articles (and probably the ones you speak of) were an entire
issue of business week being dedicated to the FOSS movements as well as
CIO Magazine chastising any CIO that doesnt have an "Open Source"
strategy.

>- MS
> trying to look more open and at the same time producing products with
> more customer lock-in potential (file formats of the next version of
> Office, for example).

M$ has for so long used the mantra of "If you can't beat them, buy them.
If you can't buy them crush them by choking off their revenue streams."
Fortunately FOSS isnt really susceptible to either.  M$ has been told the
"real" quote is "If you can't beat them, join them."  They didnt like the
sound of that, so they modified and are playing the "If you can't beat
them, decieve them."  So far its only backfired. ;)

>- MS recognizing the competitive threat in
> finacial statements.

I think this was as our president would state "a pre-emptive strike" to
soften any further threats of anti-trust proceedings.  I don't deny FOSS
is hurting their bottom line, but I don't suspect they wanted to tell the
public that, unless of course it could benefit them in other ways.

> I really think Linux/OSS/FS is reaching a critical mass in the mindshare
> of the general public and the movers and shakers.  That it is coming out
> from behind the scenes and into the spotlight.  And people like what
> they see!  The next couple of years are going to be busy for us
> advocates as this ball starts rolling on it's own.  Instead of pushing
> it, we are going to have to run to keep up!  I am excited about it.

True dat.  Times are a changing.

-Derek