postgresql <-> mysql commands

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:55:20 -0700 (MST)

Mike Starke said:
> Has someone written a quickie document outlining some commands
> to transistion from mysql -> postgresql ?

In psql do \? it should give you listing of commands available within psql.

> Simple little things like "SHOW TABLES" would be helpful.

psql -U username dbname
\d

> I am not quite sure I fully understand it's authentication system, but I
> can create a db and connect to it. I'd like to explore sql-ledger a bit,
> therefore something like postgresql is required (I suspect it is because
> of transactional support).

MySQL at the time of SQL-Ledger writing had so many issues that made it
not suitable for accounting applications that they are too numerous to
list.  To this day it still has some issues (read this list's archives for
a debate on them), but more importantly SQL-Ledger is rather 'hardcoded'
in nature.

This more than feature sets is why I suspect it is requiring PostgreSQL.
If I remember correctly it is laden with Database specific triggers/stored
procedures.  Which makes it nearly impossible to readily port to MySQL.  I
believe there was/will be a DB2 version?

-Derek