missing reply prefix (was: DHCP and local DNS)

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:45:57 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Jeremy C. Reed on 3/14/2003 10:21 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Just to let you know, a few of your email replies are missing the commonly
\_ used prepended subject "Re: ".

Let me rephrase the behaviour to be accurate: I don't alter subject
lines with Re:.  If it's there, I leave.  If it isn't, I don't add.
I've never been fond of re-ing.

\_ This makes it a little strange for threading and also it makes it appear
\_ that your message is the original (first) posting and not a follow-up.

You don't read by date?  :-)

\_ I am assuming your VM 7.07 (in Emacs) can prepend this "Re: " to your
\_ subject. I believe this is done with the vm-reply-subject-prefix
\_ setting.

Wow.  You know something's annoying when someone bothers to look up
code for to fix a 'problem' of yours.  Next someone will point out
vm-included-text-prefix :-)

I appreciate the thought, but don't be holdin' your breath.  I've been
consistent since ... since ... damnit, where's my cane?

| SMTP quoth Mike Starke on 3/14/2003 13:33 as having spake thusly:
|
| I've known David for a couple years now....I just began
| getting used to his messages [...]

\_ Of course, we could argue that the threading should just be done by date
\_ or by using the References and/or In-Reply-To headers instead.

Yup.  But lets just pretend we did that and I remained unconvinced to
change.  :-)

David