id:5:initdefault: in /etc/inittab on RH8

Peter Buechler plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:44:35 -0700

On Friday 14 March 2003 10:07 am, George Gambill wrote:
> I thought you could control booting to a GUI by id:5:initdefault: in
> /etc/inittab.
>
> For some reason, I have two RH8 boxes that boot to the text based login
> with id:5:initdefault: in /etc/inittab.  Same thing with id:3:initdefault:.
>  Any ideas?

Maybe it cannot find xdm, or you do not have xdm in the list of things to be
run for level 5. Every distro seems to be different about where they keep the
links to the runlevels. I'm not sure about RH, I think they have a /etc/rc5.d
(??) that contains symbolic links to the scripts in /etc/init.d. Well, check
your manuals and figure out where the links are, then make sure that xdm is
called when you go into level 5. You should also try running it manually to
make sure it is working, just log onto the text console as root and then run
xdm to make sure it works.

-Pete-