some networking questions

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:32:15 -0700

You also must make sure samba is encrypting your passwords:
  encrypt passwords =3D yes

That line must be in there.

nathan

Am 13 Thursday March, 2003 13:31 schrieb Mike Starke:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:05:00PM +0000, Aaron Cordova wrote:
> /_I'm trying to find a way that I can make my linux box show up under my
> /_"network place" on my windows box. I thought I was supposed to use samba
> /_but now I think that i just installed a lot of software for nothing. Wh=
at
> /_program do I need to install?  The two comps are already connected via
> ICS /_from the windows box
> /_
>
> You were correct in installing Samba. Now, it appears you just
> need to configure it properly. I always find it helpful to write
> down all the information, and make sure these settings are set
> in your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
>
> For instance:
>
> Computer Name:
> Workgroup/Domain Name:
> etc,
> etc,
>
> I think the two biggies that matter the most in your smb.conf
> file is under the Global section: workgroup =3D ? & security =3D ?
> I also have the following setting
> 'name resolve order =3D host bcast wins lmhosts'
> On a small home LAN, just throw the IP's in the host
> file and from Linux->Win name resolution works well.
>
> I always try to access the Linux box using the UNC path in start -> run.
> Type in something like //<ip address of linux box>/<share name> at the run
> command in Windows. Having a couple temminal windows open while tailing
> logs is always helpful in diagnosing these access problems. One thing I
> also have a tendency to overlook is that Samba (at least on Debian) is
> under control of tcpwrappers. Make sure /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny
> are configured properly.
>
> HTH
>
> -Mike

=2D --=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov