Off-Shore Engineering

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:53:24 -0700

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 18:07, Peter Buechler wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2003 05:25 pm, David Mandala wrote:
> > Since their quality can be outstanding that is going to be hard.
> > American Express is now more then 75% sourced in India where they have
> > PhD programmers getting and happy with $7 per hour.
>
> This is true. But their overhead that brings them up to $20/hour. Then if
> we specialize in things that are best done face to face, we could charge
> somewhat more than that. Perhaps we could write specifications and tests,
> then ship the implementation off to India.
[snip]

     I've heard similar ideas from others: The North America software
engineers will become the project-gurus and team-leaders for the off-shore
implementators. Requirements and specifications will be written here, sent
over there for coding and testing, and the finished code will then come back
here for final review and approval.
     Many would call that "project management."

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/