Off-Shore Engineering

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:42:46 -0700

     My business (after 20 years of coding) is writing and presenting
technical training to software engineers. I *do* mostly embedded and Linux
these days.
     My market is software engineers (and their employers) in North America.
As software engineering shifts off-shore, so goes my market. But I've found
that overseas engineers, or rather the companies they work for, spend money
on training in proportion to what they pay their engineers. Consequently, the
kinds of classes that have been the most lucrative here (instructor-led,
in-person, hands-on), are barely profitable, if at all, with overseas
markets.
     My situation is straight-forward: change how I do business or go do
something else. Exactly what those changes will be are unclear. And no doubt
I'll try some things that won't work, or that will need significant rework
before they do. But I'm sure that what I've been doing in the past won't work
in the future.
     How I do my business must change.

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/