SCO

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:06:12 -0800 (PST)

On 12 Mar 2003, David Mandala wrote:

> force it is today directly because of the license. BSD has been around
> longer but the license allows, no encourages commercial forking, which
> is what happened to UNIX over the years. The GPL license effectively
> stops forking cleanly. The offshoot of this is that everyone gains more

That may be true.

And the Linux kernel is rarely forked and usually only temporarily.

But within the past decade, the BSD operating systems have only been
forked a few times successfully, while Linux-based operating systems
continue to be created (including Puget Sound Technology's upcoming Linux
distro).

As for individual software, BSD-licensed code is sometimes forked.
(Examples include the man and netstd/netkit derivatives used in Linux
distros.)  And many GPL'd projects continue to be forked.

I guess the distinction is not whether it is really commercial or not, but
if an end-product became entirely proprietary. Any examples?

Anyways, where is the detailed list of technologies (intellectual
property) that was used?

I would like to compare with the old 4.4BSD-Lite which I still look at.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/