Wireless network questions

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:53:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Alan Dayley wrote:

> On Sunday 09 March 2003 11:00, David Mandala wrote:
> > Pigtail MUST be short at least as short as possible <20 feet preferred.
> > Power falls off fast in cable runs. IBM makes a card with almost 2x the
> > power of the Lucent cards, I'd use them. Can you just go over the roof,
> > the extra distance (length of a house) in the air is almost irrelevant.
>
> Yes, the distance over the house would be trivial.  I am pretty sure we can
> arrange things at both ends to accomodate short pigtails.  Thanks.

	An other (slightly costly) alternative is heavy coax for your
external 'CANtenna' run. If you're not talking about long distance, the
signal loss will likely be negligible. When I say heavy, I mean *heavy*,
like RG6. We ran a pair of linksys WAP11s, with actual Pringles cans, over
about 100 yards, at full speed, using two ~40' runs of RG6 coax. If WAP
placement is a problem with relation to your antenna, this might help a
little.

- billn