Gentoo Compile Problem

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
05 Mar 2003 17:56:35 -0700

--=-MMTOq+o3YBdDzznHOPz8

Yes, I want PHP. I've written PHP scripts for the last 4 years.
Yes, the symlink is right.
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Feb  8 09:00 linux ->
linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r10/
Linux NOTAREALHOST 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 #3 Sat Feb 8 11:33:09 MST 2003 i686
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

And ld.so.conf is correct.  I'm going to try upgrading my kernel to
2.4.20 and see if that fixes it.

Also, apache isn't installed on this machine.

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 16:12, BoBB wrote:
> Are you sure you want php? or do you want mod_php. mod_php is for apache
> and php is just a shell interpreter. Fork is a utility that lets you
> create child process's, from reading the man page it looks like its
> included in some header that configure cant find. Do you have
> /usr/src/linux symlinked to the kernel your actually using? The man page
> mentions the sys/types.h and unist.h headers. Perhaps your ld.so.conf
> got messed up? Try fixing it and running ld.so.conf
>=20
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 03:24:15PM -0700, Bryce C wrote:
> > I'm trying to run an emerge world but it gets hung up on compiling PHP.
> > I've never had the problem before and I'm running the most recent gcc
> > and associated ebuilds.  Can someone help?
> > Here are the last few lines:
> >=20
> > checking whether to enable pcntl support... yes
> > checking for fork... no
> > configure: error: pcntl: fork() not supported by this platform
> >=20
> > !!! ERROR: dev-php/php-4.3.1 failed.
> > !!! Function econf, Line 262, Exitcode 1
> > !!! econf failed
> >=20
> > Thanks,
> > --=20