Burning Distros for Installfest

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:20:41 -0700 (MST)

Christopher Bardin said:
> Having never been to one of these shindigs I don't see
> why copies of different distros need to be made up in
> advance.  My computer burns a CD pretty quickly.  I
> don't remember exactly but it seems like it took less
> than 5 minutes to burn an ISO of Mandrake 9.1 beta
> that I downloaded.  It seems to me that it would be
> less wasteful to have a few computers on hand with
> fast CD burners and the various distros on their hard
> drives in ISO format, and simply burn CDs on request.

Like networks, you are as weak as your smallest bottle neck.  The problem
is if 10 people walkin when the doors open and want to install mandrake,
the last fellow has to wait 50 minutes to start.

I would agree with you more, if these were going into the trash if unused.
 However, there are always requests for disks on the list.  So I don't
think anything premade would go to waste.

Debian installs can be done with a few floppies and a net connection. ;)

-Derek