Module loading at startup

Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:15:09 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Feb, 2003 schw=E4tzte Brian Cluff so:

> I you just need them loaded sometime during boot, put the name of the
> module into /etc/modules (at least thats where you put it for mandrake
> and debian.. I believe redhat uses the same standard now too, but I
> could be wrong)

I don't think RH has picked up this feature. If it hasn't try the following
code snippet in a startup script ( /etc/rc.boot? ). Be ready for others on
the list to fix or improve it :). This snippet will probably only work on
GNU/Linux systems, which is OK, since Linux, I think, is the only kernel to
use modprobe :).

###
# load modules listed in /etc/modules
for i in `egrep -v "^[[:space:]]*#|^[[:space:]]*$" /etc/modules`
do
=09modprobe $i
done
###

> If you need your modules loaded from the very beginning of the boot
> process, you will have to add them into your initrd image.
>
> see the name page for mkinitrd and the files in /etc/mkinitrd for how to
> do that.

I'm betting Brian mean "man" page, but it seems his subconscious was afraid
of being sexist ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  The Internet is the front line of the battle
#  to protect our freedom. -- Nathaniel Borenstein