disto for laptop

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 15:23:53 -0700

> I really want to use RedHat 8 on it. After install, if I recompile the kernel,
> will that help my speed issues?  I know it is never going to be blazing in X,
> but it really shouldn't take 15 seconds to get the reply window up when
> replying to an e-mail in Evolution.
> TKIA.

You might consider trying a different windows manager.  I imagine that
starting up X using either gnome or KDE will take up at least a good
40MB ram.  This is what has always soured me on some of these window
managers ... the terminals run at around 10MB alone ... whereas good old
xterm is about 2.5MB.  Fire up a netscape and run it for a bit and
you'll eat up a good 50MB ... so I imagine you'll swap like nuts.

Try WindowMaker or something.  You can still run the odd K or G app,
just without the continuous overhead.  BTW evolution is probably huge.
You may consider mutt (console base email).

Austin