know people in .ut.us?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Jun 2003 09:11:23 -0700

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 02:11, Robert Wultsch wrote:
> Here comes a story...
>
> Until about a a year ago I did was a windows only user that had no
> liscenes for the software I had. As I tend to be rather moral in the end
> it was just not tenable. About the same time that I got rid of all of my
> illegal software I got a bunch of cd's ripped off. I had no qualms about
> replacing my stolen music with mp3's.
>
> At this point I realy wonder if my I have a greater chance of being
> raided by jbt with my legal  (I did all my shopping online if it ever
> comes to that) music as opposed when I had software that was not on the
> up and up. I really get the feeling that software companies blow off
> consumer copyright infringment, while the riaa/mpaa is very heavy handed.
>
> And for the record I am now compleatly legal (even my windows boxes for
> the first time since 3.1) and even now lecture people about alternatives
> to copyright infringment (i.e. the gimp for windows over stealing
> photoshop, openoffice instead of office).

----
Everyone has to make their own moral choices and other than pointing out
that there is FREE SOFTWARE that they can use without stealing or
otherwise violating someone's copyrights, there's little point in
'lecturing' people.

There really is no difference between using someone else's copy of
Office/Windows etc., downloading mp3's from the internet, copying a CD,
stealing cable channels etc.

Maybe you had no qualms with replacing your stolen cd's with downloaded
mp3's but the RIAA would. It is amusing that we all (and I include
myself in this) find it easy to justify little situations that the law
would call stealing.

When it comes to Orrin Hatch and legislators in general, whether at
federal or state level, I wish they would get it through their heads
that they cannot legislate morality.

Craig